By Janet Broughton,John Carriero
- Covers the total variety of old and philosophical views at the paintings of Descartes
- Discusses his seminal contributions to our knowing of skepticism, mind-body dualism, self-knowledge, innate rules, substance, causality, God, and the character of animals
- Explores the philosophical value of his contributions to arithmetic and science
- Concludes with a bit at the impression of Descartes's paintings on next philosophers
Read or Download A Companion to Descartes (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy) PDF
Similar biographies & memoirs of philosophers books
Initially released in 1984, this quantity records Bertrand Russell’s travels in the USA masking the interval 1945-1970. it truly is provided in halves with the 1st a biographical account of Russell’s involvement with the us, with specified connection with the seven visits he made there in this period of time.
Those that knew the well-known thinker Bertrand Russell on the flip of the century mentioned him as 'the Day of Judgement'. This acclaimed choice of his early letters, to be had in paperback for the 1st time, unearths the total scope of Russell's lifestyles and innermost recommendations as much as the 1st global struggle.
Nelson Goodman's recognition and critique of yes equipment and tenets of positivism, his defence of nominalism and phenomenalism, his formula of a brand new riddle of induction, his paintings on notational structures, and his research of the humanities position him on the vanguard of the heritage and improvement of yank philosophy within the twentieth-century.
Erasmus: His existence, Works, and impact is a complete advent to Erasmus's existence, works, and ideas. It integrates the easiest scholarship of the previous two decades and may entice undergraduates in all components of cultural heritage in addition to Erasmus specialists.
- Michael Servetus, Heartfelt: Proceedings of the International Servetus Congress, Barcelona, 20-21 October, 2006
- A Rebel to His Last Breath: Joseph McCabe and Rationalism
Additional info for A Companion to Descartes (Blackwell Companions to Philosophy)